A dozen reasons to vote against the death penalty:
- The Death Penalty Is Not An Effective Criminal Deterrent - Crime has not decreased since capital punishment was reinstated in the late 1970s. Moreover, states without the death penalty have much lower murder rates. The South accounts for 80% of US executions and has the highest regional murder rate.
- The Death Penalty Risks The Killing of Innocent People – The United States judicial system is not flawless, we stand a huge risk of killing innocent people. If we allow a corrupt system to execute innocent people every citizen is held responsible for those deaths.
- You Are Responsible - As a member of our society you hold equal weight in determining whether we as a state should kill in your name.
- DNA Evidence Is Not Infallible - Sloppy lab work and ill-trained staffs have lead to many cases of contaminated evidence; eleven people in Oklahoma have been executed based on contaminated DNA evidence.
- The Death Penalty Costs More - Death penalty cases cost far more than life without parole. After appeals, expert witnesses, and lab tests a death penalty case can cost up to 90 million dollars. A number of US counties have gone bankrupt because of a single death penalty case.
- Death Penalty Is Racist and Classist - African Americans account for over 40% of the death row population, while they are only 12% of the total US population. Most people on death row are poor and uneducated and often cannot afford quality legal assistance.
- The Death Penalty Is Unnecessary - Wisconsin has recently enacted tougher sentencing requirements for murder cases making the death penalty unnecessary; the sentence of life without parole guarantees no further crimes will be committed.
- The United States Is One Of The World’s Leading Executioners – The United States execution total puts us in a category with countries like China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Vietnam.
- The Death Penalty Is Inhumane - The current method of lethal injection used on death row prisoners is so inhumane that even veterinarians don’t use it to put animals to sleep.
- The Death Penalty Is A Violation Of Medical Ethics – According to doctors code of medical ethics assisting with an execution would breach the code.
Other Wisconsin bloggers talking about the death penalty vote
Some Walk Out Of Mass Due To Bishops Statement - The Cafeteria is closed : ..Catholics don’t HAVE to oppose the death penalty. In recent years, there’s been strong opposition to it, eg John Paul II. inserted strong language into the Catechism, but it’s not intrinsically wrong. In RCIA, a deacon told us, “You can’t be Catholic and not oppose the death penalty.” One of the more rare absolute statements I heard in the “process”.
Vote Yes for Justice - GOP3.Com: ..I am voting (actually, already have voted absentee) YES on the death penalty referendum advisory question.. (this same blog proudly sports a “ProLife” badge)
WI Voters to Decide on Death Penalty - TalkLeft: Wisconsin has not had the death penalty for 150 years. Somehow, it’s back on the ballot this November…
Ultimate penalty on the ballot in Wisconsin - titusonenine: ..It was 155 years ago when more than 2,000 people in Kenosha, Wis., watched John McCaffry dangle from a noose, writhing for several minutes before his body went limp..
PUBLIC OPINION: Wisconsin Voters Favor Life Without Parole Over Death Penalty - Death Penalty Information Center: ..In a recent University of Wisconsin Badger Poll, more respondents favored a sentence of life without parole rather than the death penalty. Only 45% supported capital punishment, while 50% favored life sentences..